Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tofu Greek Salad with Char-grilled Vegetables,
Rocket and Pistachios, and a Lemon Dill Dressing
Meat Free Week – Day Four


I'm addicted to pistachio nuts. Well, I'm sure I could develop an addiction to any nut really, but pistachios have a special don't-mess-with-me-when-I'm-eating-pistachios place in my heart.

Around 15 years ago when I was just a naive and ignorant young jet setter travelling around Egypt, I was a real wimp when it came to eating street food and didn't dare touch any of it. Luckily I had a bag of pistachio nuts from the Greek island of Aegina with me. For four days I survived on those pistachios. You'd think I'd get more sick from eating only nuts for four days than I would eating Egyptian street food. But these nuts got me through my ridiculous food phobia on that trip and I've loved them ever since.


Pistachio nuts have been cultivated in Aegina for over 150 years and they are like no other pistachio in the world. Because of the combination of a warm climate, rich volcanic soil and close proximity to the sea, they are larger nuts and with a more intense flavour. For this reason the island is now a Protected Designation of Origin and the nuts have been awarded the accolade of being a Protected Origin Product. Pistachio farming provides the island's population with its main source of income, with most of the pistachio trees naturally growing on small family estates.


It's difficult to find good pistachios here in Australia so I don't get the opportunity to use them much in cooking, but our local supermarket was having a special this week for 500g bags so I thought I'd give them another go. They weren't bad (of course I needed to munch down at least 45 of them to come to that conclusion) so I decided to adjust tonight's meal to include these lovely little salty gems.

Originally we were just going to put together a simple tofu Greek salad with some capsicum and a dill dressing, but after a bit of thought we realised a few other alterations were in order to make the salad substantial enough to have as a meal.

Melbourne's weather has been a bit horrendous today. We had some fierce storms, heavy rain and very strong winds... but I still made Tony go outside and fire up the barbecue so we could char-grill some vegetables for the salad. I must sound really mean, but truly, he actually wanted to. He loves any excuse to use his barbecue. It's a man thing, you know how it is.

So, some char-grilled veggies, tofu, rocket, feta and of course the pistachios would make up tonight's delicious salad with a lemon and dill dressing. The peppery rocket went really well with the charred flavour of the vegetables, and needless to say, lemon and dill always infuses well with feta-featured salads.


Tofu Greek Salad with Char-grilled Vegetables, Rocket and Pistachios, and a Lemon Dill Dressing


Serves 2 as a main meal

Ingredients

  • 1 eggplant, sliced into 1cm thick strips
  • 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1cm thick strips
  • Oil for char-grilling
  • 200g firm tofu, cut into wedges 1cm thick
  • 100g baby rocket (arugula) leaves
  • 60g feta cheese, crumbled
  • 30g shelled pistachio nuts
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

  1. Char-grill eggplant and zucchini strips on a barbecue or ridged griddle. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  2. Fry or char-grill tofu wedges in a little oil and salt. Set aside to cool.
  3. Arrange rocket leaves in salad bowl, then tofu wedges, char-grilled vegetables, feta and pistachio nuts.
  4. Combine lemon juice, olive oil and dill and drizzle over salad.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.

We loved this salad. It had a great mix of salty, creamy, crunchy and soft which covers all bases as far as I'm concerned!




24 comments:

  1. what a beautiful salad! i love pistachios, too. i have so little control with eating them that i hardly ever buy them!

    i totally want to recreate this salad using cashew cheese. it looks so warm, comforting, and filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the nuttiness of cashew cheese would go beautifully with this salad! I know what you mean by not being able to leave pistachios well enough alone.. And I still have about 400g of them - not for long!

      Delete
  2. Those pistachios almost look like olives on the tree! After cashews, pistachios are definitely my favorite nuts. I wish this was my dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour of fresh pistachios when still on the tree is just beautiful isn't it? I took those photos on holiday in Aegina last year - genuine, Protected Origin Product pistachios!!

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious! I never used to like nuts but I've come around in the last year or so and now add nuts to most of my salads and lots of other dishes too. Mainly walnuts and cashews but this is making me want to experiment with pistachios too!
    Looks like the meat free challenge is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh once you start on the pistachios you won't be able to stop! There should be rehab for pistachio addiction..

      Delete
  4. That salad looks so healthy and tasty. I love chargrilled vegetables but I don't have a barbeque. I hope tony has a meat free grill on his barbeque!! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! Yes! Tony does have a meat-free section on the barbecue where meat is completely banned!

      Delete
  5. I've never seen pistachios in a tree. Tnx for sharing those photos. Btw its my favorite too. Also grilled vege salad looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful little pink things on the tree, aren't they? Thanks for the comment Ami, and I'm glad you like the photos :)

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious! Thank you for idea. Awesome recipe. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've evaluated five Best knock charcoals on the present market. ... The later brings a specific smoky flavor and aroma to the dishes. ... In any case, the charcoal smoke adversy influences the earth. .... I used Royal Oak Lighte digital electric smoker

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've evaluated five Best knock charcoals on the present market. ... The later brings a specific smoky flavor and aroma to the dishes. ... In any case, the charcoal smoke adversy influences the earth. .... I used Royal Oak Lighte electric smoker

    ReplyDelete
  10. I¦ve learn a few excellent stuff here. This type of fantastic informative

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was really informative. Your website is useful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an informative post. Absolutely well-researched

    ReplyDelete
  13. Informative post. Extremely helpful. I love your works

    ReplyDelete
  14. From some point on, I am preparing to build my site while browsing various sites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, you look like you’ I want to join you. I hope we can do it together next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here are some links to web pages that we link to simply because we feel they’re really worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Thanks For sharing such valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, awesome blog post. Much thanks again.

    ReplyDelete


  19. You are terrific. I like this remarkable things, Keep it up and keep on writing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback.

To leave a comment, please choose your profile account from the dropdown menu below. If you don't have a profile account, you can use the "Anonymous" option but please remember to sign your name at the end of your comment so I know who you are.

Thanks and hear from you soon!